Blog, The New Resume for Educators

Blog the New Resume for Educators


We don't really use business cards as educators. The people we run into on a daily basis usually work with us. The "resume" is used as just one piece in online applications, but after submitting who really sees it? What gatekeepers or computer programs limit the reach of the resume?

Is the resume dead? No. But it has changed.

A blog is the new resume for educators.

A LinkedIn page is great, but some educators underestimate its value. (Have we connected?)

A Twitter profile is great for connections and discussions.

But a blog, which is free and easy to set up (WordPress.com), is the standard for educator resumes.

A blog makes it easy for a school leader or for district personnel to see if you are a good fit. It allows you to share your learning and work (here's where I share mine). It also displays your ability to communicate and provide valuable resources to the education profession.

I recently toured a few blogs and found valuable insights and ideas from a range of topics:

  • Blended Learning
  • School Leadership
  • Visible Learning
  • Competition in Schools
Consider exploring these blogs below...they each offer a unique value perspective. 

Do you have a blog? Are you thinking about starting one? Let me know in the comments below.

SpedTechGeek


This is a detailed explanation of Blended Learning. Each of the 7 Models of Blended Learning really become entry points for teachers to explore and eventually begin personalizing learning for students.

One Step Edu

This post really captures the essence of a personal vision. The fact that foresight can be taught by raising awareness with students is so valuable. You really simplify it, without minimizing it when you said, "It just means that you are working toward a goal and the realization of that goal. Everything you do is to advance that realization." Great post!


The Teaching Experiment

When I first read Hattie's research on "Self-Reported Grades" I scratched my head. Then I saw it in action. As your well-written post says "The kids were so honest and they took complete responsibility for their grades."

They really do want to learn and be honest about measuring that progress. 

Seeing learning through the eyes of the students is possibly the most visible and powerful learning strategy there is! The student said it best "I was afraid my mom was going to get mad at me for my grades. But I actually got to explain things from my perspective and she was more understanding than I expected."


Planting Seeds at Graham

Here's a discussion around public schools and competition. It's a discussion about win-win scenarios that allow us to create education systems for each student instead of education for all.


Dorothy Vanderjagt

We often hear "...the key to leadership is relationships" however, it's often without actionable ideas. Here are tips for relationships that are spot-on. "People trust and go the extra mile for leaders that they know are on their side and are loyal." These tips show how to build trust with people.


Getting Schooled in Blended Learning

Claire, this was such a thoughtful post. I'm a long-time fan of Howard Gardner's work at Project Zero and am glad you shared those resources. I think this quote stood out the most to me: "But I think equally important is providing students opportunities to tear things apart and see how they work." Really, entire courses or daily sessions could be built around this idea.


Your Turn

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Do you have a blog? Are you thinking about starting one? Do you need any help in getting started? 

Let me know in the comments below. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accidental Diminishers, 6 Types for Self-Reflection

How Long Should Direct Instruction Be?

School Improvement is More than Curriculum and Instruction Expertise